Re: [ga] The Tower of Babble

Bill and all assembly members,

William S. Lovell wrote:

> Anything that depends upon the presence or absence of a "working lunch"
> in even the slightest way would not be worth 1/1000th of the cost of a
> ticket to Stockholm.

  Well good, glad you think so Bill.  I suppose that this means that
you would be willing to fund Patrick's ticked and expenses to
Stockholm than?  I sure he will be very appreciative of such a gesture
on your part.  >;)

>  If the ducks haven't been lined up well before now,
> nothing will come of them.  This whole "mike time" bit is a charade -- is
> not useless babble here enough;  must it also be endured in Stockholm?

  Maybe it is, Bill.  You can always step out during those "Mike Time"
talks if you like than you will not have to endure.  Some of us however
may feel differently and would endeavor to persevere!  >;)  I hope that
won't offend you to much, will it?

> Useful effort is called planning and preparation, not the latest flash of
> electrons across the cerebellum of someone seeking public exposure,
> fame, and glory. And a vote? With a few minutes worth of thought, at
> best?  A more effective prescription for disaster could hardly be imagined.

  Agreed.  And that is where the current Chair and Alt-Chair have contributed
to the lack of preparation in particular by trying to push their agenda's off
on the GA members, instead of listening.  As a lawyer, you know that
listening is a very important skill.  The same skill or expertise is required
or at least highly desired by a Chair or Alt Chair of and assembly
such as this one.  The DNSO GA has been lacking that listening
skill rather acutely, I would say...

> And I would ascribe what lack of a clear program of work there is to
> the babble, not the other way around.  I believe the Chair and Alternate
> Chair to have earned high congratulations to get two resolutions on board
> -- I hadn't thought they could do it -- against such a background of noise.

  A number of other resolutions were put forward or proposed Bill.  Why
did not the Chair acknowledge them and deny one of them, pray tell, instead
of putting them forward to the secretariat for a vote?  The membership
can decide quite well for themselves if ANY resolution is one that is
worthy of passage, don't you think?  Or is it that the Chair and Alt Chair
are in some other fashion, concerned with some if not all of those
other resolutions passing?

> The questioning of credibility comes from the incessant racket of a
> very few, only some of whom I shall name: Jeff Williams, Jefsey, and
> last, but not least, Sotiris.

  Well this seems to vary greatly from the post you sent to me earlier
yesterday Bill.  Why is that I wonder?

> There are others whose ability to resist
> emulating great literature can get quite wearing, but sometimes within
> all that twaddle they actually say things worth hearing.  There is also a
> "Terminator" in the crowd here, but he often seeks to terminate just what
> so needs to be, not incessantly. It's just the knee-jerk negativists whom
> I have named, and some others, so I say that instead of staring breathlessly
> out into the ring as the toreador steps forth and the bull starts to charge,
> with the crowd screaming for failure so as to watch the blood flow, let's
> just all shut up and let those who have the job, do it.

  IF we all "Shut Up" as you put it than we all have no voice, and the issues
that are important to US will never be known.  Is that wise, do you think?
I don't.  And it is unfortunate that I don't seems to bother you or irritate
you so much as you seem to state in this post!

> The foregoing is not
> meant to emulate great literature, especially not Hemingway, but sometimes
> images are better than literal words, and it is precisely that image that what
> Sotiris proposes brings to my mind.
>
> Bill Lovell
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>
> > Dear Company,
> >
> > The GA has disintegrated into babble, pure and simple.  I ascribe this, in large
> > part, to no clear program of work.  The coming meeting in Stockholm may only serve
> > to emphasize this point.  How can the GA expect to be taken seriously, when its own
> > members no longer take it seriously, and even question its credibility?
> >
> > Mssrs. Chair, and Alt-Chair, outcome reflects on leadership.  Don't get carried
> > away with the party-favours and other mementos of the occasion...   I will be be
> > watching the webcast closely, as will many others.  Perhaps we will add our voices
> > in the public participation.  But, we're going to need a commitment from our
> > colleagues who are at the meeting, to ensure that all voices will be given a fair
> > chance.  It will also be interesting to see how the time will be allotted for the
> > various discussions.   If necessary, will the meeting run over/through
> > lunch/dinner/breakfast and even overtime?  Or will it be the ersatz performance yet
> > again?  (Considering the gravity of the matters to be discussed, I think a working
> > lunch is not too much to be expected, surely?  I remember Esther Dyson herself
> > deigning to dine and do... that is, if memory serves me correctly.)  I would even
> > like to see a motion or two with real and virtual participation in a vote!
> > (`wishful thinking', I know)  Is this GA really going to happen gentlemen?  Let us
> > see your resolve, will, and character over the next two weeks.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Sotiris Sotiropoulos
> >
> > --

>          Bill Lovell
>
> http://cerebalaw.com/biog.htm

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827