Re: [ga] 305 Voters

Ladi wrote:

> My personal general feeling is that technical issues simply cannot exist
> in isolation from policy issues. Trying to divide them cleanly is
> useless as one side will always need to understand the other at least on
> a basic level, unless we just want to degenerate into two groups
> pointing fingers at each other and never getting anything done. I point
> to the current email as a file transfer method issue occupying NANOG as
> my most recent example.
>
> By the same token, are "non-ICANN issues" really that far from "ICANN
> issues"? Not to start a new debate, but perhaps a form of the digital
> divide is why some people can effectively put up a fight against UDRP
> and others don't even bother.

Ladi:

That is absolutely true, from my experience. They "don't bother" fighting
reverse domain name hijacking because they don't have the money.
Veronica's parents succeeded by other clever means; they mounted such
a public relations blitz on the net that made Archie Comics look so bad
that, last I heard, Archie folded on the basic bit (maybe bought the name,
I don't know). But the UDRP is a domain name issue, into which ICANN
has stuck its nose, and we're now stuck with it. It truly has both technical

and "social" aspects, and when I (and others) say that ICANN should
stick to technical matters I think that should be read to mean "should
have."
That horse is already out of the barn, and DNSO/GA-ICANN has to
deal with it one way or the other. My point of view has been and will be
to get ICANN out of the UDRP fiasco.

> Perhaps a more unified approach is in
> order...

Not exactly following here.

> And as a history major, I need to plug my own discipline (and my
> thesis): past models are also worth examining. Without thinking too
> hard, I would hazard a guess that the creation and professionalization
> of the scientific community is worth a look.

Speaking as a scientist for the moment, how could I say other than,
"why, of course?" :-)

Bill

> ~Ladi

         Bill Lovell