Re: [ga] Re: [ga-icann] On Bill's post about ICANN

Indeed correct, Leah.  Technical things are what ICANN is set up to do,
and it is especially when ICANN starts cutting business deals and
sticks its nose into the market that it dirties its face the most, especially
since it is not really possible for this juggernaut (like NSI/Verisign) to
sneeze without having adverse, anti-competitive effects on other
would-be competitors. "Stability of the Internet" does NOT mean
that "all our buddies get the fat stuff" so as to eliminate all the riffraff
"who might unsettle our way of doing things," and the "marketability,
potential conflicts in recognition from a non-technical standpoint,
usability, and end-user satisfaction" comprise what us scientific types
call the "rubber slide rule" -- argument could be made to find instability
in any of them. If  X meets specific, pre-defined technical qualifications,
then X is in.  And what are "conflicts in recognition from a non-technical
standpoint?"  Trademarks? Gimme a break! That's an issue for the courts,
not ICANN, in spite of its misbegotten UDRP.

Bill Lovell