Re: [ga] GA Credibility.

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> This has given me a wonderful opportunity to step back to the 50,000 foot
> view of these lists. It occurs to me that we have been so aggressively
> bashing each other, in public, that a cursory review of these proceeding
> will show the casual observer that NONE of us should be trusted with even as
> much as a sharp tooth-pick. It might be used as a weapon. Jim Dixon's
> comments wrt "adult supervision", of a few years back, comes to mind.

Roeland:

Truer words were never spoken! :-)

> Regardless of where one falls, on these issues, one can't help but recognise
> the stunning lack of credibility of a body with such highly credentialed
> folks in attendance.

Here we start to divide.  These highly credentialed folks are credentialed in
fields that have little to do with a lot of what's now being raised. Being an
expert on roots or whatever helps very little when talking about truly social,
issues rather than technology.

> It's an anomally. Having met many of you F2F, I might
> also point out that much of the on-list behavior is a caricature of the
> normal F2F presentation of many of you.
>
> In addition, many of have realized for quite sometime that, the DNSO/GA is a
> beard for the ICANN. It is intended to show the non-ICANN world that the
> ICANN is indeed open. What it also does is demonstrate, for the ICANN, that
> general transparency isn't ready for prime-time. It is the strongest
> argument against the @LArge that the ICANN has. A demonstration of chaos, if
> you will.

But open to what? Well, I think we've answered that.  Certainly very little in
the way
of constructive progress.  I was chatting with some others earlier about the
IFWP
days, and I must say that the GA mirrors that to a T.  I have myself argued for
and
voted for the Individual Constituency, and hope it comes about, but if and when
it
does, it will be of considerable interest to see whether anything other than a
change
in name comes of it.  I hope you will all prove my scepticism to be wrong.

See my latest at ga-icann, and that's it for today.  Gotta make a living, when I
should
be basking at the beach.

         Bill Lovell

http://cerebalaw.com/biog.htm