Re: [ga] Another Membership Study - Berkman Center Representation in CyberspaceStudy (and MAC)

Every word of this from Bruce James I believe to be entirely correct,
but the term "legally accountable" needs clarification.  The SOs, GA,
and so on are all advisory bodies that have no policy making role --
nothing in the By-Laws says that the Directors must do anything any
such bodies say to do.  Where the accountability comes from is the
"bottom up" dictates of the USG (DoC) and the "public benefit"
requirement of California law. (Taken alone, the By-Laws define the
very epitome of a dictatorial oligarchy that "has no members" -- that
bit still slays me: if you have no members the initial Directors get to
have 6 year terms! -- but fortunately the By-Laws do not fully define
ICANN -- the USG and State of California do so also, so if anyone
wants any recourse from anything, those are the places to go.)

One other aspect of this I'd like to mention, though, is this new study
of the at-large, which I also think to be superfluous. I'd like to draw a
distinction between that kind of rehash and the thing I proposed
today, which also involves an expenditure of time, namely, that we
should do a systematic Proposal -> Motion -> Vote thing rather than
keep rushing in with new motions.  This at large thing can serve little
purpose but to delay decision making; my "PMV" thing also delays
decision making, but the time involved is spent in getting the ducks
lined up, which is a kind of "moving forward" so as not to waste time
later; that in repeated studies seems to have little purpose -- what part
of its "work product" does anyone expect to have "new news?."