Re: [ga] Option A -- "Divestiture'

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 07:23:26PM +0100, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> Kent,
>
> Incidentally, since you are listing the various things that VeriSign may do
> under option A to keep the monopoly, may I notice that there is nothing
> under option B that prevents VeriSign to buy the company that will win the
> contract for .org,

No, there is nothing explicit in Option B to prevent that.  It's not a
realistic concern, though -- there is nothing to prevent the contract
between ICANN and said registry operator from having arbitrarily strong
conditions separating it from Verisign.  Moreover, it is perhaps a
presumption to assume that the registry operator for .org would want to
sell.  Suppose that the registry operatory for .org were CORE -- how
would Verisign buy CORE?

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be