Re: [ga] let's focus on making sure that, in the various forums,we can as k substantive questions

Here's a substantive question, and I'd like to see ICANN commission an
independent substantive analysis of it.

I don't pretend to know whether the registry-registrar split was either a
good idea in 1999 when it was first agreed or still a good idea now. I think
we ought to do whatever maximizes competition in this space, but I am not an
economist and have no idea which alternative best enhances the competitive
landscape.

Market regulation of this type is complex. To the best of my knowledge, the
Board has commissioned no independent economic studies on the market effects
of the split, or non-split, so at present it is wholly reliant on our
collective wet finger in the wind to make the determination.

I'd like to see an independent economic analysis of the likely comparative
long term market effects of (a) splitting the registry and registrar on the
model contained in the 1999 agreements; and (b) not splitting the registry
and registrar, but peeling off .org and .net over time.

I don't know how much it would cost, who would do it, or how quickly it
could be done, but without such an expert opinion, we're all just guessing.
The Board included. We might still be guessing after the report, but at
least it would be a more informed decision.

The firm that does this should be retained in advance of Melbourne. It
should attend the Melbourne meeting, listen to the public comments, and
prepare a report for publication within a short time thereafter.

  -- Bret