Re[2]: [ga] let's focus on making sure that, in the various forums, we can as k substantive questions

Hello Bret,

With some registrar's having 10 year contracts with customers on
domain registrations, any concept that would result in a dismantling
of the SRS system for com/net/org is probably not something that is
feasible.

Sunday, March 04, 2001, 8:36:21 PM, Bret Fausett wrote:

> Here's a substantive question, and I'd like to see ICANN commission an
> independent substantive analysis of it.

> I don't pretend to know whether the registry-registrar split was either a
> good idea in 1999 when it was first agreed or still a good idea now. I think
> we ought to do whatever maximizes competition in this space, but I am not an
> economist and have no idea which alternative best enhances the competitive
> landscape.

> Market regulation of this type is complex. To the best of my knowledge, the
> Board has commissioned no independent economic studies on the market effects
> of the split, or non-split, so at present it is wholly reliant on our
> collective wet finger in the wind to make the determination.

> I'd like to see an independent economic analysis of the likely comparative
> long term market effects of (a) splitting the registry and registrar on the
> model contained in the 1999 agreements; and (b) not splitting the registry
> and registrar, but peeling off .org and .net over time.

> I don't know how much it would cost, who would do it, or how quickly it
> could be done, but without such an expert opinion, we're all just guessing.
> The Board included. We might still be guessing after the report, but at
> least it would be a more informed decision.

> The firm that does this should be retained in advance of Melbourne. It
> should attend the Melbourne meeting, listen to the public comments, and
> prepare a report for publication within a short time thereafter.

>   -- Bret

Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com