Re: [ga] Re: [council] Reasonable Opportunity for Comment

> Thanks, Mike. I was asking the Board to state ahead of time what items
> might be acted upon in Melbourne and to limit the action items to some
> discrete set of issues that can be reviewed in the remaining time.
> You've said that none of the items have been posted for action in
> Melbourne, but the possibility that any of them might be acted upon
> Melbourne means that we are required to read and comment upon them
> all.
>
> As you probably know, I try very hard to follow these policy issues
> and, when I think appropriate, make comments and suggestions. Like the
> vast majority of those participating in these discussions, however,
> this is not all I do. I simply see no way that I can review all of
> these documents thoughtfully in the time provided given other
> responsibilities. I doubt I'm alone in this. Some advance notice on
> what the Board might act upon in Melbourne would help me, and I
> suspect others, prioritize the review.
>
> On your last question, my personal belief is that a "reasonable
> opportunity for comment" is nothing less than 30 days for most items.
> In an emergency, the Board can and should take interim measures on
> less than 30 days notice, with an appropriate request to the relevant
> Supporting Organization to provide additional support and comment on
> final measures.
>
> As to the matters I mentioned in my e-mail, here is what I recommend:
>
> (a) The new TLD contracts should be the item pushed forward for public
> comment and possible action by the Board in Melbourne. It is important
> to push this forward so the testbed can get underway. Two weeks notice
> is probably sufficient if this is the only item set for action.

If all the documents had been posted in time for at least a two
week comments period, I might agree, even though the .BIZ issue is
far from settled.  There are potentially literally thousands of
businesses at stake.

However, there is insufficient time to post them and have a
reasonable period for public comment.  It will have been a hastily
made decision once again, most of it having been done behind
closed doors and answerable to whom?