Re: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of William X. Walsh

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 10:21:15AM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2000-11-13 15:27:51 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> > You can now make any claim you want to on the DNSO GA list,
> > regardless of how unfounded or unproven it is, and not face any
> > opposition to it, because anyone who questions your veracity is
> > guilty of a personal attack under the rules.
>
> Don't you think that there is a difference between asking for hard
> facts or improved security at IDNO (such as: Create a strong
> verification system for IDNO membership), and claiming that "for all
> we know, half of those people are made up" - without giving any
> proof for that?

You are reading the phrase "for all we know, half of those people are
made up" as a "claim".  I don't read it that way at all -- it is clearly
a hypothetical.  Moreover, it doesn't say that *Joop* made up those
names -- just that there could be bogus identities (created by anyone)
on that list.  This is a serious expression of a serious security flaw.
No one can see the list of names, there is absolutely no way to validate
those votes.

Exaggerated example:

If I said: "Hey everybody, I have created a voting site, 500 ga
members joined up, and voted me in as list chair", would you consider
someone saying "half of those could be made up" as a personal attack?

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be