Re: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 10:40:10PM +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
[...]
> >It really strikes me that you, like so many others, appear to think that
> >"representative or governing roles" are the only things that matter.
>
> I said exactly the contrary.

Yes, but the rest of your position doesn't seem to me to be consistent
with that statement.

> I bought your argument that the GA should not have "representative or
> governing roles". In an effort to rationalize, and eliminate useless
> things, I proposed to eliminate the endorsement of the candidates by the
> GA, and leave it completely to who has the "representative or governing
> roles", i.e. the NC.
> Fair enough?

In all honesty, this just sounds like sour grapes, to me.  There has to
be SOME process for proposing candidates.  This one isn't perfect, by
any means, but if you want to eliminate it you have to propose a
realistic alternative.

[...]
> >a presentation of what the "new IANA" would look like at an IETF
> >plenary; the IAHC gave a presentation at an IETF plenary etc etc.
>

> Good.
> So, who does the nominations in the IETF? The NomCom, or the plenary?
> You see my point now?

No.  Not really.  Indeed, the IETF has a process for selecting
nominees, and we might at some point consider that model.  It's
different than the model we have, though, and it would take amending
the bylaws to change, and I haven't heard any reason from
you why we should change that I consider at all compelling.

[...]
> >That's PRECISELY and EXPLICITLY what the output of the endorsement phase
> >is supposed to be.  It is supposed to be a slate of nominees from which
> >the NC will elect a director.
>
> I keep my point. So organized, it is useless.
> Anybody can get 10 endorsements.

Once again, that just doesn't matter -- indeed the process allows that
ringers or other unsavory characters could be proposed -- there is a
barrier, but it is a relatively low barrier.  On the other hand, a
scheme that allowed good candidates to be pushed out by bad would be a
disaster.  [An example of such a rule would be one that said that only
the candidates with the 5 most endorsements would be proposed.]