RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

Dear Simon,
you respond to Roberto:

>>The main thing I am worried about is that two alt.roots have different
>>name servers for the same TLD.
>>And this I don't like.
>I agree. But certain facts of life are here to stay:
>
>1. Alt.roots have been created as a direct result of:
>    a. Network Solutions being granted a for-profit monopoly on the
>       most popular gTLDs (COM/NET/ORG)
>    b. IANA's inability to introduce competition to NSI by way of
>       new registries and TLDs
>    c. The .US registry's total failure to address the .US space
>    d. Internet community dissatisfaction with subsequent processes
>       (i.e. IAHC/gTLD-MoU/ICANN)
>    e. ICANN's obligation to prevent economic harm to NSI from
>       introducing competition
>2. Reserved TLDs (BCP32) exist which immediately create an alt.root
>3. Private corporations use Alternate Roots internally which often
>    duplicates the name space outside of the USG-root - normally to
>    secure the identity of internally used servers
>4. Private Roots exist which for whatever reason do not have a full
>    set of USG-root TLDs
>
>There is no guidance to establish checks and balances in any DNS server
>which has been altered from the vanilla USG-root. I'm halfway through an
>Internet Draft to try and ensure that there is a minimum supported
>baseline (the USG root zone). Also I'm addressing discrepancies between
>RFC2826 and BCP32, as well as other variations. The point is to provide a
>common meeting ground and prevent a serious root fragmentation from happening.

I would be interested in assisting into such a draft preparation
as I feel that time is short now before we meet drastic changes
into the internet management under the pressure of international,
nsw projects and the www (world war three) between large
interests. If we could establish principles of cooperation before,
IMHO it would probably help many to survive the crisis and the
whole system to better cope with it.
Jefsey