RE: [ga] new TLDs

Alf,

IMHO, the only reason for adding TLDs is to add diversity of models.
- Chartered vs. open
- with trademark protection / UDRP vs. without
- for-profit vs. not-for-profit Registry
and so on (see http://www.chez.com/rgaetano/TLD-e.htm).

If the models are diversified, it will make no sense (and in some cases
it will be practically impossible) to re-register in the new TLDs the
SLDs already registered as .com.

If, OTOH, the ICANN Board selects just some clones of .com (like .firm,
biz, or whatever), I agree that we are in trouble.
But why should they?

BTW, may I assume that you, as Director, would not? ;>)

Regards
Roberto

>Hi,
>
>If this is the result of new gTLDs, we have lost.
>
>A TLD should really mean something. The policy for each TLD should be
clear
>and well published, and give the registrant a clear idea about which
TLD he