RE: [ga] new TLDs

At 05:29 PM 9/1/00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>IMHO, the only reason for adding TLDs is to add diversity of models.
>If the models are diversified, it will make no sense (and in some cases
>If, OTOH, the ICANN Board selects just some clones of .com (like .firm,
>biz, or whatever), I agree that we are in trouble.But why should they?

The original reasons for pursuing additional gTLDs were to increase the
amount of name space and to increase competition among those supplying
registration services.  The focus on formally "different models" -- and
especially the idea of enforced restriction on registrations under
"chartered" TLDs -- are of rather recent vintage.

The idea behind having different kinds of gTLD strings was the hope that
they would have different appeal, not that there would be any difference in
the legal basis for resolving a trademark conflict.  Indeed it is difficult
to imagine the courts producing differential outcomes unless the assignment
process has differential enforcement rules.

The mere fact that the TLD string is different and, perhaps, has a
different description associated with it sounds like a pretty weak legal
argument, on its own.  The counterpoints are that a) the mere fact that the
strings IS different and therefore that two different domain names really
are different, and b) well-established base of industry practise supporting
the difference, such as between .com and .org.

d/