Re: [ga] About endorsements status

Dear Harald, dear list members!

> I found it interesting to check out the endorsements page.
> There are a few candidates who are quite heavily endorsed in Europe:
>
> Lutz Donnerhacke (318) - ISP, alternative gTLD operator, PGP author
> Jeanette Hoffman (333) - political scientist
> Andy Mueller-Maguhn (939) - student, Chaos Computer Club member
>
> I don't know anything about *why* these candidates appear to be in the lead
> to enter the election, but I guess the situation is similar in other regions.
>
> Jeanette Hoffman I've met, the others are blank to me.
> Anyone else know these people?

Lutz Donnerhacke is known among German Internet users mainly
for his Usenet activities (he was de.admin.news.announce
moderator) and cryptography expertise (he set up a
certification authority). I would not overrate ISP and alternative
gTLD operator, it's really only a very small company, and
the gTLD (.bofh by the way) seems to be more a fun project
than a business. He would probably not mind being described as
techie, he knows a lot about the technical stuff.

Andy Mueller-Maguhn is not only member, but speaker of
the Chaos Computer Club, probably the biggest European
hacker forum. The CCC has become something like an authority
on questions like data security and Net-related issues,
even appearing before parliamentary commissions and courts
as experts. Mueller-Maguhn is thus something like a
German net celebrity.

If you are a European at-large member, you might be interested
in joining the icann-europe mailingliste
(http://www.fitug.de/icann-europe) where a number of European
candidates are participating.

Further information and links are also available from
http://www.icannchannel.de/wahl2000/member.htm
http://www.heise.de/ct/icann/kandidaten/
http://www.gouvernance-internet.com.fr/candidats.html

Best regards,
/// Alexander

P.S.: If anyone is running other ICANN-related sites in
Europe, it would be great to get in touch -- just drop me
a mail!