Re: Re[3]: [ga] Elections

At 21:46 6/08/00 +0200, Roberto wrote:

>I'm not sure.
>Personally, I'm giving a try, and right now the challenges are to get at
> least 719 endorsement statements from European AtLarge Members, and in
>September some few thousands votes, still from European At Large
>Members.

Hurdle # 1: the artificial geographic barrier. Why should you not be able to
call on your supporters worldwide?
At least to get your nomination on the ballot.

>It is an almost impossible task, but I don't think that it has to do
>with being member of the IP community or being friend with some people:
>it has to do with the fact that nobody really knows who the At Large
>members are, why they joined, whether there's some kind of capture going
> on (and by whom), in the end "how they will vote and why".

Hurdle #2 : not only do you not know the at large members (although I reckon
that the people involved in their massive recruitment, especially in Japan,
DO know them and DO know how to mass-email them), but also they do not know you.
Not in the way the GA participants have come to know you.

>Do you really think that the current BoD knows much more than us, or is
>able to drive this election?

Nobody knows. At least they knew how to make sure that their voting power
remains dominant, no matter what the outcome of the election.

>I think we really have a chance, whether we will be able to use it,
>that's another story.

Let us see how a candidate who was previously able to show wide support from
the GA, someone like Karl Auerbach , will fare.
For me, that will be the real test of the integrity of the AL nomination and
election process.

How much influence new Board members can have will depend on their (moral)
authority and their capacity to persuade their fellow Board Members.

from my ICANN designated geographic area,

  Joop
www.idno.org