Re[3]: [ga] Elections

Joop,

>Hurdle # 1: the artificial geographic barrier. Why should you not be
able to
>call on your supporters worldwide?
>At least to get your nomination on the ballot.

I agree for the nomination, but not for the vote.
For instance, in the current situation Germany has more voters than the
whole Africa, they could decide the African representative, if there
were no geographical barreers.
For the nomination it is a different thing, although it will be
complicated to evaluate the minimum level of support (2%) if cross-
boundary support is allowed.

But that's the past.

>Hurdle #2 : not only do you not know the at large members (although I
reckon
>that the people involved in their massive recruitment, especially in
Japan,
>DO know them and DO know how to mass-email them), but also they do not
know you.
>Not in the way the GA participants have come to know you.

Indeed.
But this is an experiment in communication world-wide (or at least ICANN
-Region-wide). How fast can the message go through the Net? How
effective can communication can be?
There is already a network of organizations that are cross-publishing
curricula, online fora in different languages discussing the issues, and
 all that jazz.

We'll see.

>>Do you really think that the current BoD knows much more than us, or
is
>>able to drive this election?
>
>Nobody knows. At least they knew how to make sure that their voting
power
>remains dominant, no matter what the outcome of the election.

IMHO, there's a "real" concern, i.e. that the oucome of the election
will bring to the Board a group of freaks that know nothing of the
Internet, with the consequence of putting the Internet at risk.
But indeed there's some troth in what you say as well.

>>I think we really have a chance, whether we will be able to use it,
>>that's another story.
>>

>Let us see how a candidate who was previously able to show wide support
 from
>the GA, someone like Karl Auerbach , will fare.
>For me, that will be the real test of the integrity of the AL
nomination and
>election process.

I am not sure.
Karl may or may not be elected depending on factors beyond the control
of the Board.
I maintain that the Board is unable to control the choices of the
electorate.
For instance, I bet that the explosion of membership subscriptions in
countries like Japan, China and Germany, was completely unforeseen by
the Board (with the possible exception of Germany, because at least here
 in Europe we were expecting some kind of action from Germany).
How can they make sure that the Asia Pacific candidate is the one the
Board will like, if it is not even understood who the voters are?