Re: [ga] ICANN's delay

Chris,

>This delay is intolerable. The board voted and passed a resolution with
>timetable. Now the "staff" decides to delay? Who is the "staff" to
overturn
>a board-ratified resolution?
>
>Where is the documentation and evidence for this huge decision? I call
upon
>ICANN to publish and disclose the "inquiries" that were received that
caused
>this delay. Where are the minutes of the board meeting where this
decision
>was made? How did the board members vote - or, as it appears, was this
>indeed a decision on the part of "staff?"
>
>Delaying a month, and cutting the application period down to less than
>month, with no prior notice, and against a board-debated and passed
>resolution goes beyond any expectation of fair and open process.

What can I add?

Maybe a parallel story.
What was the understanding (and expectations) of the people that were in
 Yokohama about member-nomination?
I heard an affirmation from the Board about a ratio 1:2 in the committee
-nominated vs. member-nominated seats, and a 1 month member-nomination
period.
What this turns out to be in practice (I take the example I am
interested into, i.e. Europe) 5 pre-allocated seat on the ballot, and 15
 days (moreover in the traditional European vacation period) to get 719
endorsements.
Additional nicety: no whatsoever answer from "ICANN Staff" to the
questions I am repeatedly asking about modalities for submission of
candidatures.
And, BTW, the recent instructions at ICANN's (see http://
members.icann.org/memcand.html) read:

"If you would like to submit your name as a candidate for member-
nomination, please send an email to nominations@icann.org to obtain
instructions"

You would expect to receive an E-Mail in answer to your request. Well,
good luck, I'm still waiting.

But then, as I commented few minutes ago on a different subject, "so
what?". Didn't we know it already? And is it a sufficient reason to give
 up?

My answer is "no". And I know that yours is "no" as well. The problem is
 how to get organized to be effective, not how to express a (sterile?)
protest.

We are on opposite sides of the fence on many subjects, but we have
known eachother for so long that I hope you will accept my friendly
advice.
Don't be upset, make sure you can make it with the new deadlines, be
ready for more surprises.
In all fairness, that's what I am doing for *my* issue with ICANN.

But what do the others think?

Regards
Roberto