Re: [ga] Proposed ICANN Constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners

Hello Patrick,

Saturday, July 08, 2000, 8:51:35 PM, you wrote:

> William X Walsh wrote:

>> Being a member doesn't mean that one should automatically and blindly
>> support the one person dictator of the organization in every one of
>> his ventures.  Or that a member will think the organization is
>> automatically a candidate for recognition or anything else for that
>> matter.

> How can a reasonably sane person be a member of an organisation ruled by a
> one person dictator?  Does this membership have any voting rights?

In the IDNO at least the members only get to vote when the Grand
Poobah approves of the voting, and believes it will go his way, or
when he is really backed into a corner and delaying tactics are not
working and his abuse would be apparent if he tried to delay any
longer.

In some cases of the latter, when the vote was clearly going against
his position or the people he supported, the vote would change just
enough in the last hour or two that he would get mostly his way.  It
is all very suspicious, but since he is the only one with the access
to the server hosting his polling booth, and the logs and membership
lists which would be required to audit the results, there is no way to
get enough evidence to say for certain. But it has happened enough
times that it has raised more than a few eyebrows.

Or he will just put the vote off, thus creating a situation where
those who oppose him and want something passed or something defeated
get frustrated and leave, and THEN hold the vote, so that he can make
sure he gets his way.

> If not, what is the worth of such an undemocratic membership?

I agree.  There is not much worth in the IDNO.  But it was created
with my name, and I'll be damned if I let him get away with claiming
to speak for domain name owners when he abused our trust and our
support in such a gross manner.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com