Re: [ga] Text of Radio Ad which will start running nationwide

> At 22:37 28.06.2000 -0400, Yingwei Wang wrote:
> >Voting rules are important, we should talk about them, but we should talk
> >about domain names, too. Did anyone suggest a proposal about domain names?
>
> the reason to have voting rules is to be able to say something in an
> organized fashion about domain names. This is the *DNSO* GA, after all.
>
> >Can anyone tell me why you think ADNS will not succeed?
>
> My take on ADNS, and any other current "alternative" root, is that it will
> not succeed because nobody in his right mind will use a domain registered
> solely with them in the target address of anything that they hope to make
> money from; the customer base from any current .Z website is only the
> minuscule fraction of the Internet users that have retargeted their
> nameservers.
>
> Cutting off 99.5% of your target audience is not something very many
> business people are particularly fond of.
>
> That's why so many people who dislike ICANN so intensely haven't left the
> party yet - it's the organization controlling the *present* set of root
> nameservers.
>
>                           Harald A

Many people are NOT just naming their sites something.{USA,EARTH,Z} but
are using these as ALTERNATIVE names for the same website. They realize
that if they don't lock in their chosen EARTH, USA or Z name, that the same
thing might happen to it that happened to their .COM version - it may
end up taken by someone else.

We are succeeding. Visibility of EARTH, USA and Z has grown by a factor of
almost 10 in the last year. USA domains have appeared on domain auction
sites and have been sold for substantial amounts of money. There are many
sites with .USA names (that also have .COM names, but so what?)

For the time being, most of the registration fees that we get is used to
run ad campaigns which educate people about ICANN and alternative domain
root networks.

John