Re: [ga] Text of Radio Ad which will start running nationwide on 7/7/2000

At 22:37 28.06.2000 -0400, Yingwei Wang wrote:
>Voting rules are important, we should talk about them, but we should talk
>about domain names, too. Did anyone suggest a proposal about domain names?

the reason to have voting rules is to be able to say something in an
organized fashion about domain names. This is the *DNSO* GA, after all.

>Can anyone tell me why you think ADNS will not succeed?

My take on ADNS, and any other current "alternative" root, is that it will
not succeed because nobody in his right mind will use a domain registered
solely with them in the target address of anything that they hope to make
money from; the customer base from any current .Z website is only the
minuscule fraction of the Internet users that have retargeted their
nameservers.

Cutting off 99.5% of your target audience is not something very many
business people are particularly fond of.

That's why so many people who dislike ICANN so intensely haven't left the
party yet - it's the organization controlling the *present* set of root
nameservers.

                          Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no