Re: [ga] [Admin] Suspension of posting rights for Jeff Williams

At 15:04 27.05.2000 +0000, Mark Measday wrote:
>Harald,
>
>I haven't read Mr William's original post, so don't know what he said
>other than the below. A couple of procedural points:
>
>(i) It was my understanding that suspension from the list is subsequent to
>a complaint. Then it is up to the list monitor to take action if deemed
>necessary. Did someone complain?

Someone complained. I did, too.

>(ii) Slander may or may not be a crimial offence in various different
>jurisdictions. Similarly the mischievious allegation of slander may or may
>not be actionable in the same manner. Is there proof of slander? If not,
>you are playing into the hands of your detractors. List etiquette and law
>should be separate.

Slander is specifically listed on the mailing list rules at
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc03/msg00447.html:

>- The messages must observe a minimum of decorum, including:
>   - Not indulging in personal attacks, insults or slander
>   - Not using offensive language

I agree; the list etiquette and law are separate.

>(iii) The penalty for misbehaviour on the list was deeemed to be two weeks
>suspension in previous list corespondence. How is eight weeks justified?
>You would seem to be exceeding the brief.

This is Jeff Williams' third suspension.
Listing rules again:
>Both sanctions are imposed for a limited period of time (typically 2
>weeks), and are announced on the mailing list. Repeat offenders may get
>correspondingly longer sentences (for instance 4 weeks for a second
>offense, 8 weeks for a third).
>The period is decided by the sergeant-at-arms.

>(iv) It would appear that, were Mr Williams to hire a competent advocate,
>you would be putting other list members at considerable risk.

I assume you mean "lawyer" or "attorney"?
I don't see what the risk to other list members would be; I stand ready to
defend my actions.

                      Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no