Re: [ga] About GA membership again......

At 20:15 4/04/00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>Kent, Joop,
>
>Kent wrote:
>>>
>>> Instead it chose to ignore the petition altogether.
>>
>>There are lots of open questions about this issue...the GA, the At-
>Large
>>membership of ICANN, the proposal for an "at-large" constituency, etc.
>

>Right.
>
>Can we start addressing these?

Roberto, should we address these questions here in order to ,once again,
come up with a GA "advise" to the Board?
It is the Board has to make the decision.

>How do we see the role of individuals, that can join the AtLarge
>Membership (and therefore vote on BoD) but not have any representativity
> in DNS matters?
>Can we restart the debate about a constituency for Individual Domain
>Name Holders?

All the arguments have been stated several times over, I think, both pro
and contra.
The debate has been effectively sidetracked by making an issue of the
representativity of the organization that has done all the pleading for
the Individual Domain Name Holders.
The GA in Santiago came up with a resolution to request the Board to put
the issue on its agenda there.
That is where it currently stands.
 The Board did not want to address the issue, not in Santiago, not in LA
and not in Cairo.
We can ask the members of the GA once again to vote on the issue and
request the Board to speak out on it.

>This thread was statrted by Harald, trying to relaunch the debate about
>the definition of GA Membership, essential before we can define voting
>procedures. May I also remind that a vote is due at the end of this
>month on the list rules. How can we effectively perform this vote in
>absence of a clear definition of (and agreement upon) the voting body
>(i.e. the Membership)?

This is a classic bootstrapping problem. You can only solve it (as Chair)
by giving all current GA participants voting rights.
Everybody is a stakeholder here, to some extent.
Forever trying to find "agreement" on whom to exclude will  give voting
rights to nobody.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org