Re: [ga] Older Registrations

At 11:34 AM 4/4/00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>Craig is providing in his analysis below the best explanation on why
>this debate will be endless, i.e. because there is some truth and some
>inexactitude in both statements made so far.

that sort of assessment is often true.

unfortunately, people inclined to make unreasonable claims know that
reasonable people will take this "truth is somewhere in the middle"
approach, even when the approach does not work.

That is, they rely on their unreasonable statements being assumed to have
some reasonableness to them.

>IMHO, USG participated initially in the IAHC with the intention of
>providing USG POV in the matter (and therefore with somebody in an

While it would be understandable and reasonable for the government to
participate on such terms, what evidence do you have that that was their
intent?

Over roughly the nine months of IAHC work, before Magaziner shot us down, I
heard no such cautionary or arms-length statements from the
government.  Yes, I did note that the public statements from them were
wonderfully neutral and very much was concerned that they would pull the
rug out from under us if they deemed it convenient.  However others who I
thought far more politically experienced than I kept assuring us that we
were getting their support.

>"official" capacity - what's the point otherwise in having somebody at
>that high level instead of an obscure clerk?), but as always happens in

The other reason is to add that much more credibility to the process.

In other words, far less than "listening" and "commenting, as you suggest,
is the role of supporting.  (In addition to listening and commenting, of
course.)  That was certainly the basis of Strawn's presence that I understood.

>But feel free to insist to mutually ask for proofs, just be aware that
>few people are still listening.

Indeed, I again let one of these threads become protracted in order to see
whether a bald statement of fact that I knew to be untrue would produce any
substance to support it.  Since none has been forthcoming, I will add
yet-another filter to my email.

Missing the postings of such erroneous claims makes it less likely that
they will succeed in causing further distractions.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA