Re: [ga] Re: no matter may pass out of the DNSO without the explicit approval of the ga

Karl,

>The basic idea is for the GA to make a formal petition to the ICANN
board
>to amend the bylaws or articles to give the GA a particular power.  And

>that power be that the GA would have to approve any matter that flows
from
>the DNSO to the ICANN board.
>
>This would place the GA on an equal footing with the NC in terms of
>creating domain name policies.

I agree on the need of redefining the role of the GA in order to raise
its importance in the process, but I just do not see in the current
situation how ICANN could take into consideration this kind of petition.

If we were working, and producing useful DNS-related contributions, we
could reasonably ask to count more, but if the debate is continuing on
these topics and with this climate, ICANN is more likely to be tempted
to scrap the GA altogether than give it more power.

In summary, your idea is good, but there's some prior work to be done in
 order to make the GA useful, before making it important.

Regards
Roberto