Re: [ga] Message from the Chair

Eric,

You wrote:
>Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
>> ...the mailing list should be
>> separated from the membership list, because they serve two separate
>> purposes: the former is the site of the cyberdiscussion, the latter
the
>> site of the cybervoting.
>
>I am confused.  Would the cybervoting/membership list have discussions?
  How
>else could there be motions, seconds and debate of propositions?  Would
 it
>have a different function than the "cyberdiscussion" list?

I am just saying that the voting should not be performed on a mailing
list, but via roll call by the votemaster.

I don't think that in order to be able to vote an individual has to be
obliged to subscribe to a discussion list.

Also, we should consider the fact that a discussion list does not scale.
 Either the GA remains of this size, and in this case the issue of
voting is irrelevant because ICANN will never accept decisions to be
taken by such small population, or the GA grows, and therefore it should
 rethink the structure, because a single discussion list with thousands
of individuals cannot meaningfully conduct business (let alone motions
and votes).

Regards
Roberto