Re: What list forwards to what list (Re: [ga] Message from the Chair)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 10:53:29PM +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> At 10:13 25.01.00 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
> > From a technical point of view I don't think that is -- or should be --
> >the case.  If someone posts directly to the unfiltered list, it goes
> >directly to the unfiltered list.   People subscribe to the filtered
> >list if they want to post to the filtered list -- everything posted to
> >the filtered list is automatically forwarded to the unfiltered.  What
> >you are describing is that everything posted to the unfiltered list
> >gets forwarded to the filtered list and the filters applied -- that
> >doesn't make much sense, from a technical point of view.
>
> As a technologist in the extreme, I can assure you that it makes sense.

Harald, I also am a technologist in the extreme, and I'm not sure what
your point is.  What you write below seems to directly and completely
support *precisely* what I said :-) -- the aliases are *exactly* what I
had in mind.  Elen seems to be saying that she would only *post* to
ga-unfiltered...whatever that would mean.

> The aliases would look like this (ignoring some details like the names of
> the programs used):
>
> ga: ga-unfiltered "|resend-and-filter ga-subscribers"
> ga-unfiltered: "|resend-but-do-not-filter ga-unfiltered-subscribers"
>
> All messages would be addressed to "ga".
>
> I don't think the mail system should even deliver mail addressed to
> ga-unfiltered; the only reason I could see for sending mail to the
> unfiltered list would be to create an appearance that the filters were
> removing messages that should not be removed.

Ellen said she only wanted to participate in the unfiltered list, which
implies she would only send mail to ga-unfiltered (according to my
understanding of her position).  That didn't make much sense to me, and
I was trying to explain why... but *if* someone posted directly to
ga-unfiltered (and it were allowed), according to your aliases above it
would not go through the filters -- which was exactly what I said,
wasn't it?