RE: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

I agree that "individual constituency" does not necessarily equal "IDNO".

For the record, I've not endorsed the IDNO, which based on the very
limited attention I have been able to spare for it, seems to have behaved
no better or worse than many other political groups deprived of a
meaningful function (that is, having nothing better to chew on, it has
chewed on itself). I'm not and never have been a member.  But that's not
the point.  I think ICANN has shirked its duty to confront the IDNO issue
head-on, resorting to technicalities and shell-games of procedure to avoid
having to decide the substantive issues.  IDNO has a right to be heard,
and to a decision, if not inevitably a favorable one, as its sponsors have
jumped all the hoops held out in front of them.

If for example, ICANN thinks that an individuals' constituency needs to
have particular properties before being approved, it should say so.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, William X. Walsh wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2000 Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> > 2) Also, is the issue of new DNSO constituencies going to be in order in
> > Cairo?  If not, when will the IDNO issue actually be discussed and
> > resolved?
>
> Just a point of order.  The issue is of an individual's constituency, not
> necessarily the IDNO.  The IDNO  would like to become that
> constituency, but it is no where near that now, and is unlikely to become that
> in the future.  (Or more appropriately, let me state that Joop Teernstra would
> like it to become that provided that he can work it out that he can control it,
> and use it as a personal vehicle).

Any good political structure harnesses ambition for the common good.
That's part of the genius of the Federalist papers.  Ambition is not bad;
lousy structures are bad.

                        -->It's warm here.<--