On trusting people (Re: [ga] Majordomo 'who' command (fwd))

At 15:40 13.01.00 -0500, Joe Baptista wrote:

>Harald - you seem to conveniently avoid answering my question.  Who in the
>following list of people do you trust.  I'm asking you a question Harald
>and I hope you have the balls to answer such a simple question.
>
> > Mike Measday
> > Michael Froomkin
> > Milton Muler
> > Karl Auerbach
> > Dennis Schafer

With the number of messages flying around, I tend to sometimes try to think
before I type. Sometimes useful.

But why not reply....

The concept of "trust" as an unconditional is, of course, a fallacy.
I trust most people to behave consistent with the way they are made up;
this means that sometimes (like when asking Karl about freedom of speech),
I can trust that a stimulus gets a consistent response.

I trust all of the people above to behave with reasonable consistency on
the GA mailing list, which is where I've seen them the most.
I don't trust any of them to be the Source Of All Good, or to be always right.
I have a particular sympathy for Michael Froomkin, because I've met him
face to face and talked to him for quite a while. That doesn't mean I agree
with him in all matters.

Given that you didn't ask me a simple question, you didn't expect a simple
answer, did you?
So what did you *really* want to know?

                     Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no