[ga] Positions so far on mailing list policy

OK, that's the first day.

I counted 15 respondents to the policy document; I interpreted 10 as "in
favour of something roughly like this", 3 against (2 because they don't
think anything should be blocked, and 1 - Baptista - because he wants
Robert's Rules), and 2 didn't seem to give an opinion yet.

A number of issues have been raised, including:

- Whether the possibility of asking for identification belongs here
- Whether posting by "handle" rather than by name should be permitted
- Whether the "who" command should be enabled
- Whether the "unfiltered" list should be archived at the DNSO site
- Whether that archive, if made, should be public
- Who (the chair, the SAA or the GA) should decide to take action against
   an offender.

I've summarized the positions I've been able to interpret in the attached
table (HTML format), and also put it on the Web at
http://www.alvestrand.no/icann/MLPositions.html

Of course, this is NOT a vote - but if I have misrepresented someone's
position, or someone wants to fill in the empty places in the table, please
tell me ASAP!

This will be input to a revision of the policy document that I hope to do
before the weekend; I hope we can do an opinion poll on that revision to
see if it's possible to say that the GA list membership recommends its
adoption.

                   Harald
Title: ML positions

Sheet1

Positions on mailing list policy

Name Must have rules These rules Identification Allow handles enable WHO Archive unfiltered Publish unfiltered Who decides
Harald Alvestrand Yes Yes ?   No Yes No SAA
William Walsh Yes Yes Yes
Ken Stubbs Yes Yes Yes?
Richard Lindsay Yes Yes
David Farrar Yes Yes
Joop Ternstra Yes Yes Yes         Chair
Darrel Greenwood Yes Yes     No
Karl Auerbach No No (Yes) Yes Yes Yes Yes GA
Michael Froomkin Yes Yes No     Yes Yes SAA
Joe Kelsey Yes Yes       Don't care No
Roberto Gaetano Yes Yes     No Yes No
Bret A. Fausett         Yes
Jeff Williams         Yes