[ga] Re: RE: Purpose of the GA - ...

Roeland Meyer wrote:

>I might suggest an alternative understanding, the purpose of the GA
list is
>to discuss organization and formation og the DNSO. It is the political
>center of the DNSO. It is NOT just about domain name issues here. It is
 very
>much about the formation of the DNSO itself. The GA list is the
designated
>political meeting place, of the DNSO membership, as I recall. We have
>detailed WGs discussing targeted DNS issues elsewhere.
>
>Under your understanding, you could never have been elected in the GA
list.

Roeland,

I think that I did not make myself clear enough.

The example of the gTLDs was just an example: when I say "DN-related"
issues, I mean *all* issues that are related to the Supporting
Organization whose primary scope is Domain Names (i.e., the DNSO).

The characterization of the issues to be debated as "DN-related" is due
to the fact that this is the "DN-Supporting-Organization", and I am
therefore assuming that non-DNSO-related issues are out of order.

I may be wrong, but I think that we have the same understanding of the
"wide" scope of the DNSO-GA.

You also bring another interesting point. You mention "membership".
This word evokes a system of rights and duties, a sort of "contract"
between the umbrella organization and its individual contributors (the
"members") that both parts engage in respecting.
A world made of rules to be respected, and sanctions for who does not
comply.
Not quite the current situation, where we have contributors to a
discussion list, but not members.

IMHO, the political debate about the formation of the DNSO that you
mention cannot avoid the discussion on the system of rules to be
adopted.
In fact, given the recent events, this subject may well be the most
urgent item to discuss.

What are the "rules" for membership, according to the participants to
the GA?

Regards
Roberto