RE: Free speech and GA (Re: [ga] Time to put...)

On 01-Jan-2000 Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

>> In addition, we have the possibility of using cryptographic
>> verification of
>> messages to the list; this requires that the posters have
>> this technology
>> available.
>
> Actually, this is what I had in mind. The technology is readily available.
> If we simply knew who posted what and could trust a message to be from
> whomever it claims to be from, that would go a long way to clean up the
> garbage around here. Once a post can actually be laid a someone's feet, I
> believe that the list will self-moderate. I've actually observed this
> before. The noise level is at its peak when anonymous posters are present,
> it goes down a bunch when originators are known, it goes down a bunch more
> when a poster can be verified. This is all without external intervention.

This ignores that the primary offender doesn't mind that people know he isn't
the person he is post as.

I still support a drop of all connections from vrx.net till they deal with their
abusive user.  I've done that here already.

--
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/