RE: Free speech and GA (Re: [ga] Time to put...)

> In addition, we have the possibility of using cryptographic
> verification of
> messages to the list; this requires that the posters have
> this technology
> available.

Actually, this is what I had in mind. The technology is readily available.
If we simply knew who posted what and could trust a message to be from
whomever it claims to be from, that would go a long way to clean up the
garbage around here. Once a post can actually be laid a someone's feet, I
believe that the list will self-moderate. I've actually observed this
before. The noise level is at its peak when anonymous posters are present,
it goes down a bunch when originators are known, it goes down a bunch more
when a poster can be verified. This is all without external intervention.