[ga] Re: Fwd: [wg-b] Position Paper of Deborah Shelton from ArentFox

Jeff and WG-B folks,

  I am not sure Jeff or Harald how this would or could "Hash Out" as you put it
Jeff, but I do have some ideas that maybe the Non-Commercial folks as well
as Individual Domain Name owners may want to consider.

- First of all despite some trepidation ongoing in the EU on "Famous Marks"
   I agree that the US is likely to lead in getting their definition as it applies
   to Domain Names.

- I would also agree with what Brian has indicated privately to you and I Jeff
  that the EU will distinct definition considerations for "Famous Marks" due
  to the ccTLD considerations and a culture difference.  I understand that
  from reading some of the FCC documents that this seem likely at this time
  despite pressure from the US on the EU.

- A legal forum is really not in place to globally to deal directly with these
   issues yet, and it will as you say, Jeff, be some time before that is in place.

- Given the above "Bullets" I would say that it would be unwise legally to
   pursue settlement of Domain Name disputes using the UDRP, as you
   Jeff submitted to ICANN and WIPO some time ago now in INEGroup's
   behalf.

  So to finnish this off, the proposal that the Non-Commercial folks have
put forward is in line with current events in this arena of "Famous Marks"
most especially, and with Trade Marks in general, as the Dennison case
Judges ruling, in detail very directly pointed out.  Creating a additional
legal entity or "Court" if you will to handle this problem is a bigger problem
than having the Trade Mark holders of Domain names doing it themselves,
which is their legal responsibility.

  The only possible exception to this that I could see being feasible is one
that provides for a phasing in of such a body, with grand fathering of existing
Domain Names exclusionary.  But I doubt that this will be possible in the
US.