Re: [ga] 24 hours from now...

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 06:06:47PM -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
> > The Web based interface has the advantage that everyone can check on the
> > results at any time.
>
> It would be a trivial matter to add an automatic webpage result updating system to Kent's
> Votebot software, that would resolve this "concern."

Actually, I have already added a couple of cgi scripts to the
distribution that do the tally -- as you indicated, that was really
only a couple of hours work.  Still beta, though.

I have some other web-based features I am working on, as well -- as
you know, the votebot runs off of mail lists, and web interfaces to
mail lists are common, and easy to do.  There are a couple of
well-known ones for majordomo, and I have done one for a particular
list I run.  So I thought I would just add a web interface to control
subscriptions to the list of voters.  The end result will be an
integrated mail list/votebot web interface, so you have equal access
in either mode.  That whole package is a bit more complicated, and I
am doing it a bit at a time.  It should be ready for release in a
couple of weeks, depending on how much time I get before Christmas
rush sets in.

> And best of all, it doesn't require any proprietary software or licenses, and nor does it
> require that anyone contract with the "consulting" company that is running the software.

Well, in the open source tradition, I would appreciate it if people
contact me with any significant changes, bug fixes, or improvements
they might make.