Re: [ga] Reuters: Net name dispute body gets first case

On 06-Dec-99 Ken Stubbs wrote:
> gee thats funny...
>
> i thought this was a dispute resolution between 2 parties who both
> agreed to
> it.
> what has "support" got to do with it. are you suggesting that people
> line up
> and advocate on behalf of one party or the other with the dispute
> resolution
> provider.
>
> maybe we ought to arbitrate it in the newspapers or in some list. . or
> better yet lets put up a votebot and take a vote...
> kinda like the old roman coliseum ... thumbs up or down !!!

Many times, Ken, the only defense a small guy has against a big corporate
attacker is the damage to the corporation's public image, and the best way
to demonstrate to them is in the public support for the small guy's rights
to his domain name.

Case in point: Ajax.org, Pokey.org, Veronica.org (just to name a few).

In a case I myself was involved in, the public pressure forced the company
to deal with me from a much stronger position, and to compensate me for
the time, good will, and effort that had gone into building a service
around that domain.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934