RE: [ga] THIS FRIDAY end the nomination's time...

At 6:07 PM +0100 12/2/99, R.Gaetano@iaea.org wrote:
>Because I can't believe, not even for a moment, that people like Roeland
>Meyer, Mikki Barry, Ellen Rony, Karl Auerbach, and so on, and so forth, are
>giving up.

Speaking solely for myself, I am very tired.  I have been
participating in this for 5 years, and before that through the CIX,
through the Internet Business Association, and through my old
software company.  I have fought long and hard, and have enjoyed the
tiny amount of progress we have actually made.  However, I have done
this at great personal cost - both financial and personal.  While
paying my own way and flying around the world for individuals and
small businesses, I have sorely neglected my law practice, my
physical and emotional well being, and most importantly, my daughter.
Something has to give.  I am seeing NO positives right now and
significant negatives to my participation.  The ICANN bylaws are ever
changing at the whim of the only partially elected board.  The UDRP
has been adopted in flagrant violation of the mandate for "technical
management only."  The trademark interests, not happy with the trump
card they were gifted with, went even further and pushed the
"cybersquatting bill" down America's throat by attaching it to a
"must adopt" bill.   The SBA has called for a concrete review policy.
Nothing has been said about it.  The popular candidate for the Board,
Karl Auerbach, was not voted in by the names council after "horse
trading" in violation of the bylaws regarding going to the names
council for support once you were a candidate.  IBM, MCI and CORE
control the board, control the constituencies, and will likely
control the GA.  There is STILL no constituency for individuals or
small business interests.

So what have we accomplished for 5 years of fighting?  There is no
mandate for freedom of speech on this most important medium ever
created.  "E-commerce" is in our faces, and flourishing despite
ICANN, yet there is no protection for those who built the Internet
and made it the robust medium that supports xmas shopping on line,
and .com IPO after IPO.  I feel we have not accomplished very much at
all.

>Because I can't think that all the people that have participated to these
>debates in the last years, often providing their criticism, but often in a
>constructive way, are now leaving the floor to the "yes-men" and to the
>"no-men" (i.e. the people for which everything is fine, and the people for
>which everything is broken, both categories of people having in common the
>same lack of interest in what the situation "really" is, and how it could be
>amended).

Insanity is often described as doing the same thing over and over and
expecting a different outcome.  By that definition, I am insane.  I
have tried very hard, sometimes spending 40 hours per week on email
lists alone.  I attempted online participation in ICANN after trying
in person participation through the IFWP process.  I did not feel
that my participation was valued or useful to anyone.  I do not feel
it made a difference.  And yes, I do believe that the game is
stacked, the outcome was mandated well prior to the death of Jon
Postel, and the phrase "all decisions have been made, you can go home
now" was true from the Geneva IFWP meeting onward.

so, while I am not completely out, I am looking toward other
priorities.  The hard cold fact is that I have other things to do
with my life.  I am going to pursue them.  What little left over time
I have may be used to continue fighting, but it certainly won't be as
much as I've already poured in.

I suppose that in a way this is giving up and a cop out.  However,
please remember that almost everyone involved with this process
actually gets paid doing it.  In comparison, I go begging to get
funding for DNRC so that we can continue.

>Because I can't accept that we renounce to have the possibility of having a
>voice in the process for everybody, including the individuals that are not
>part of any constituency, just because were not successful up to now.

If there was a glimmer of hope, I might agree with you, Roberto.  But
at every turn, SANE dissenting voices are either given lip service,
or are totally ignored.  I see no hope for individuals to have full
representation.  I see no way for small businesses or small non
profit organizations to have a voice given that the constituency
system has gone so very wrong and is so skewed towards groups that
ALREADY have the power.  6 business constituencies (including
intellectual propery interests who have one little tiny peeping voice
to counter their views, and that voice may be silenced because we
can't afford to pay for our constituency votes).  One non-commercial
constituency.   NO constituencies for individuals, the largest group
of Internet users, and those who frankly have the most to lose.

I feel guilty saying all of this, but that's the way I see it.