Re: [ga] Result of PGP key experiment

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> Both Jeff Williams and David Jenson declined to submit their keys, despite
> being directly asked to do so.
>
> I guess this is proof enough that PGP keys are not a terribly useful means
> of identification in the DNSO GA context.

I don't know, the refusal of obvious frauds to provide keys should offer
some indication as to their usefulness.

Further, because they are not widely adopted, doesn't make them any less
useful. Perhaps were the GA membership to adopt them as a requirement for
membership they would prove far more useful in creating the "web of
trust" necessary to proceed. I don't think this would be a particularly
onerous requirement given the free availablity of PGP software.
Personally, I would be quite happy to use PGP keys, however in all my
years on the net, I have never had the need to, so I haven't bothered to
use them. I imagine there are a lot of folks out there that haven't
either.

Thoughts?