Re: [ga] URGENT: Moratorium on all additions to confusing GTLDs andccTLDs Required.

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, matt hooker wrote:

> November 19, 1999
>

> I have found that there is a tremendous push, to approve new gTLD,s
> as quickly as possible, and as many as possible. This push is due
> to ideological, political or financial interests that have nothing
> to do with the real interests of the Internet as a whole. I am
> calling for an immediate moratorium of the approval of new
> gTLDs.

Matt,

You seem to not understand that this only concerns the approval of new or
existing gTLDs into the legacy root server system. The fact is that many
of these gTLDs have been in operation for many succesful years
commercially, and although they are not part of the legacy root serer
system, they nevertheless continue to exist and thrive.

Prolonging what has already been an exhuastive process will only serve to
make the legacy root server system even more obsolete, as many of the Root
Server Confederations already envision little need in the not too distant
future for it's continuted use.

Acceptance of the existing gTLDs (and some ccTLDs) that you claim to be
"NEW" into the legacy root server system (Which you claim as some sort of
approval) is required if the legacy root server system's existance, or at
least it's significance, is to be preserved.

Those of us managing these commercial TLDs (which you claim are new gTLDs
and new ccTLDs) actually stand to benifit more in the long run as more and
more people abandon the legacy system in its obsolescence.

furthermore, anyone who believes that your motivation is other than a
sound business posturing to permit you precious time to sell namespace at
a premium - while it is indeed at a premium - is either in that game with
you or woefully gullible.

I do not fault you for this business strategy, but rather applaud your
keen sense of direction, yet I site this as your premise nonetheless.

Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
Northtech Computer
tallship@tallship.net