Re: [ga] nomination procedures

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 08:51:29PM -0600, Andy Gardner wrote:
> >In the extreme, the method you propose would allow Jeff Williams, who
> >has quietly signed up 50 fake names to the GA list, to carry the day
> >and get his 5 favorite candidates selected.
>
> Exactly. Which is why I came up with the proposal to take the first (or top
> two) names from the previous vote we held (before Jeff and some of the 98k+
> little voices in his head corrupted the membership list).

A few points --
1) a slate with only one, or even with only two, does not meet the
requirement of supplying the NC with meaningful variety (and I do
believe that is a firm requirement);
2) the scheme doesn't generalize, since BoD candidates don't have to
come from the GA;
3) we have to solve the problem sometime;
4) there is no evidence that there were any fewer fakes then.