Re: [ga] GA representation on the Names Council

On 18-Nov-99 Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>       I'm not sure, though, that any of that is the *reason* the GA list
is
> functioning so poorly.  A lot of folks within the GA, surely, distrust
> the
> NC because of these concerns; but the folks who are most responsible for
> disrupting the GA list, I think, are primarily driven by ego and
> testosterone and I don't know what else.  I doubt that suggestions like
> the
> one below would quiet them -- which leaves us with the issue of how to
> address the problems with the GA list.

I agree with your comments, Jon, but I will observe that the disruptors
appear to have gone away, for now anyway.  Except for those who are
privately posting to all the members, but I just have them set to be
blocked at the mail server level (I got tired of the garbage) so any mail
from them to me just bounces back at them.

Someone else mentioned that it is possible for someone to forfeit their
right to participate, and indeed that is not an uncommon structure in
public forums.  What is needed, though, is a clear specification of who
makes that decisions, what penalties that have options of enforcing,
specifications for the publication of their decisions, and a mechanism for
the list itself to discuss the appropriateness of such an action without
becoming a part of the disruption themselves (and perhaps a way for the
General Assembly to override an action they feel was excessive or not
supported by the facts).  I have no problem with Elizabeth making these
decisions, or being the person in charge of making these decisions,
personally, but I would like a more accountable structure for the
decisions.  A web page where she lists any taken actions, and the reasons
why, for example.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934