RE: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

Peter

This proposal, if any thing, should act to everyone's advantage in fighting
spam.

1. It becomes prohibitively expensive for a spammer to get (or revalidate
your information if you change it) from whois database as they have to pay
on a domain by domain basis giving valid reason (however filmsy) for
obtaining your details. The records of such requests exist with the
register.

2. Becomes (hopefully) easier for registers to spot someone mining the whois
for spamming purposes  - as they will have to make fairly number of
requests. At the least complicates spammer's methods to gather information
as they will have to use multiple identities, etc (remember verifiable means
of payment).

(maybe we can even suggest some guidelines for registers to request for a
additional safety deposit from someone requesting too large a number of
records like couple of thousand - for legal defence or compensation purposes
- to be release back to requester after a certain time lapse)

3. Gives you a advance notice that someone is trying to lookup your records
and  why, (automatically and free of cost email to your email account -
unlike credit bureaus where you have to request for such information) -
giving you a chance to notify register if you suspect its a spammer. or take
precautions if its a potential stacker or political/religious persecuter.

4. As far as change from present system - from your additional burden
perspective - all that has changed to is, you having to pay nominal fee
(just like a spammer would) to enquire the spammers records. All your legal
and other options remain intact  - nothing else changes from present day. A
fair price for the little bit more sanity, peace of mind and personal safety
- is it not ?

Best of all nobody ICANN or anyone gets additional powers or juridiction and
is a market based solution.

comments ?

Sri