Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

Let me give you an example of how the privacy of the Texas auto registration
Database works.  The private individual cannot get any information.  The
Companies get the Entire Database for mail lists.

Enforcement of rules/regulatons is a scary subject.  Everybody does not follow
all of the RFC's, does anybody know them all?  There is no abuse@rndtm.net.my,
but there is a mail server with an open relay. nor is there a
Postmaster@telco.co.in but there is a mail server. In theory you shouldn't need
a database to contact a network operator.  You can get a contact from the SOA or
you can mail to the RFC addresses.  In an ideal world none of this would be
necessary so obviously this is not an ideal world.  You can not have governance
without enforcement.

You can solve your privacy issue very easily. Set up SPAM cops under ICANN,
allow only them to have access to the database for investigative purposes.  Set
up ICANN as the clearing house for SPAM complaints.  ICANN could take over MAPS
RBL.  They can also handle network/server intrusion complaints. Of course before
you add someone to the RBL you must have a hearing of some sort so you need
either to have a judicial system or work with a local system.  Will the US allow
anybody else to have judicial authority over their citizens?  They won't even
sign a treaty they instigated. Will the rest of the world freely submit
themselves to US administration. NOT LIKELY, even if as P.T. Barnum said, you
can fool all of the people some of the time.

Personally I would prefer to keep the databases as they are (actually I would
prefer better accuracy of their information) and put up with the aggravations.
I'll do my own policing. I know the present, the future is what is scary.

Getting rid of the registration databases does not get rid of SPAM nor will it
in any way effect network/server security.  There are programs that go out and
sniff the web for email addresses.  Somebody might get my address from this very
email.  How long before one of the indexing companies, there is a profit motive,
starts scavenging their databases for email addresses?  Have you noticed that
there are names, phone numbers, and addresses in the telephone directories.

On another tact,  how much of this privacy argument is driven by profit motive?
My database--my information--my Copyright--PAY ME.

Peter Veeck