RE: [ga] Agenda for GA meeting in Santiago, Chile

If this ga discussion list is used to ascertain some sort of consensus
representing a scintilla of the Internet community, I concur completely
with the welll-articulated comment submitted by Antony Van Couvering on
August 17.  What he said, below.

Antony Van Couvering wrote:>

>¿What do I think?  Personally I believe that for ICANN *nothing* should be
>done officially in face-to-face meetings - if it didn't happen
>electronically, I don't think it should count.
>
>Otherwise we end up with what indeed we have now: a bunch of rich people -
>overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly men, overwhelmingly American and
>European - who think that because they have the means to to fly hither and
>yon, the world should pay attention to their repetitive pontifications and
>Napoleonic egos.   When after running down a list of their names one
>realizes that their money is often their *only* qualification, the benefits
>of wider participation are obvious.
>
>Unfortunately, public interest in ICANN is so appallingly marginal that the
>electronic-only  participants tend to be those with a particular axe to
>grind, and even they tend to be white European and American men, just
>poorer.  Thus ICANN consists almost entirely of two groups: entrenched
>business interests and their bland representatives on the one side, and a
>disparate group on the other, which pushes for "justice" and
>"representation" but cannot field a coherent philosophy, let alone any
>coherent representatives.  What is more, these latter are under constant
>threat of being co-opted by the business interests, who have what they
>need - money.   There really isn't anyone else.  Let's just the ICANN
>outreach sucks.  ICANN can't even get very many members of the Internet
>Society interested, and they should be low-hanging fruit.
>
>Oh, yeah, how could I forget?  There are also about five guys with beards
>who represent the "old" Internet.
>
>Add to this the fact that ICANN has given no place to ideas, rationality,
>logic, solutions.  These qualities are not rewarded.  Solutions in the ICANN
>world are nothing more than political accomodations.  ICANN is almost
>entirely a political animal, which is not surprising given that it was
>designed by our poll-driven administration.  As such, it will run the usual
>course of political institutions over the last 200 years - there will be
>increasing calls for enfranchisement of those affected by its policies, and
>ICANN will either accede to and embrace those calls, or it will die.
>
>On the Internet, the only way this will work is by using online methods, and
>by getting some new voices in the chorus to leaven out the repetitive
>cacophony we've become used to.  These face-to-face meetings are a mechanism
>for exclusion and an excuse to delay implementing online methods of voting.
>Eventually we will get there, hopefully before we have wreaked too much
>damage.
>
>Antony

Ellen Rony                                          The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author		           ____        http://www.domainhandbook.com
ISBN 0879305150                (oo) -^--                   +1 (415) 435-5010
erony@marin.k12.ca.us              W   W                         Tiburon, CA
               DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age