[ga] New Domain Name Solution

I apologize in advance because I know this is not the
correct forum for my suggestion but I was hoping someone
could give me advice on someones e-mail or a list that
would be more appropriate.

I have thought of a new, perhaps novel, solution to the
domain name conflict issue that eliminates the need to add
any additional top-level domains.  The solution is to allow
_multiple_ entities to register the _same_ domain name.
The domain name service would return not just one but
multiple IP addresses for the domain.  Each site would have
an additional file in the root directory called desc.txt
that would contain a short (500 character) description of
the site.  This is similar to the robot.txt file that many
sites have now.  The client program would request these
files whenever multiple IP addresses are returned from the
domain name service.  The client program would display the
desc.txt files one after another with a link to select the
one the user desires.  For requests at other than the root,
the client program would see if both sites contain that
directory or file and go directly to that site if it is
unique otherwise would display the same "choice" screen.
This approach has some advantages:

  It is bottom up - similar to the ethics of the internet,
their is no central control and instead the users and the
site owners are empowered.

  It fits the physical world model - the fact that multiple
organizations use the same name does not cause problems in
the physical world because only one of them is really what
people are looking for and when confused the people get
information and they make the decision.

  It avoids conflict - disputes are eliminated since as
many people who want a specific domain name can use it.

The approach has some problems:

  New client software - current client software does not
handle getting multiple IP addresses as a response.  Given
the revision speed of the internet this could be eliminated
quickly.

  New servers software - again software modifications are
required.

  New conflicts - sites that are imitation sites could try
to fool people into choosing a them instead of their well
known competitor.  This sounds like an appropriate venue
for trademark disputes and libel disputes which are going
to happen no matter what.  In addition, third parties may
get into the act by certifying competing sites and making a
list of imitation sites.  Again, the market can find the
solution.

I think this idea has merit and I welcome any suggestions
or questions.

Again from the DNSO GA mailing list, I would appreciate
suggestions on the more appropriate venue to forward the
concept.

Thank you,

Jason
Jason Glazer, P.E.