[ga-udrp]

Re: [ga-udrp] WIPO2

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 22:38:57 -0700, Chris McElroy wrote:
>From: "DPF" <david@farrar.com>
>> RFC3 of WIPO2 has just finished its public comment process and in the
>> near future WIPO will make a formal proposal to ICANN.  This should
>> hopefully be referred to the DNSO for an attempt to come to a
>> consensus on their recommendations.
>
>"Hopefully is correct. The IP Constituency will come out with a paper
>suggesting it isn't necessary to revies this any further.

I'm not 100% sure even the IP community is united on WIPO2 proposals.
The website submissions make interesting reading.

>> I thought I'd start the ball rolling with some personal brief comments
>> on their key recommendations.  Some of what they have proposed is
>> quite good and it will be useful IMO if we can concentrate on the
>> parts which are overly intrusive rather than risk being seen as
>> opposing the whole thing.
>
>Unless the whole thing is wrong. I don't think  limiting the scope of any
>review is productive. You are right in that you have to pick battles you can
>win, but so far with the UDRP, WIPO, and ICANN, that would mean choosing no
>battles at all.

Oh I don't mean to suggest anyone should feel limited as to the scope
of their comments - more that constructive analysis of why particular
proposals are not a good idea is more likely to be persuasive than
general damnation and hellfire on WIPO :-)

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527