[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Registrants Charter - FREEDOMS - Part 1

on 5/15/01 8:02 PM, Roeland Meyer at rmeyer@mhsc.com wrote:

Hello Roeland,

> The problem (and I'm not that far from WXW here) is that the contact
> information is required for problem solving, contacting NOCs, etc.

All industries have information sources for professionals only. I don't
object to a WHOIS database in principle for that reason, but I do object
strongly to it being available in the public domain.

Question: Could WHOIS data be restricted on a "need to know" basis and if
so, how could that work ?

No, it
> was never designed for individual use and makes inadequate privacy
> protections. On that, I agree. However, the new EU privacy protections would
> allow many to remove ALL contact information. This is also non-acceptable.

Are you sure? That would be like asking the phone company to not keep
records of an account and I don't think that is the requirement. The idea is
to remove personal data from casual scrutiny that serves no purpose, not to
stop Registries keeping private records of their customers, as any other
business would do.

> Yes, there WAS no provision for individual anonymity UNTIL the advent of the
> ROLE account. So, now we have role accounts and individuals, entering
> personal contact data into the whois, either explicitly know what they're
> doing or have bad advice.
>
> The ONLY remaining glitch is the registrant data.
As I explained to Chris
> Ambler, years ago, this is simply taken care of by the paid usage of a PO
> box, or MBE account (of which, I have a few, for this purpose).

In middle class America, every town has a Post Office with boxes and mail
forwarding, but this resource is not available everywhere. It's a helpful
tip, but it's not the solution for everyone.

What is an MBE account?

Regards,
Joanna

--