[ga-sys]

RE: [ga-sys] Registrants Charter - FREEDOMS - Part 1

Personally I don't think anyone should be able to opt out of the system but
I do think some protection should be available to those who do not wish to
directly expose their personal details.

The personal details would have to be exposed and available however.  But
the level of such exposure can be controlled.  I like the idea of a service
being provided to handle the contact details for domain registrations.
They would be the initial point of contact.  Then, if it is necessary, the
actual owner details could be exposed through such a service to appropriate
authorities if necessary.

The main problems with this approach would be any costs involved and
defining how the actual data may be recovered from the service and by whom.
We certainly do not want to add excessive cost or complexity to the issue.

Lets face it, the amount of data exposed is minimal and anyone can take
reasonable steps to safeguard exposure of further details.

As mentioned, it is a trival matter to set up a Post Office Box or mail
drop and to use methods to limit exposure of private information.  There
are many other sources of personal data that expose much more about
individuals than the whois.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-sys@dnso.org list.