[ga-rules]

Re: [ga-rules] Bounced Messages & Other List Administration

At 00:56 31.05.2001 +1000, Alternate Chair wrote:
>There are therefore three types of postings I might make (1) my own views on
>a subject of interest (2) reposts and corrections (3) GA announcements.
>Trying to perform these tasks could easily lead me to exceed my personal
>daily posting limit.  This would be a valid but unworthy cause for concern.
>
>Of course, I could easily just ignore mis-postings, filter bounced messages
>and not re-post ICANN Announcements or other relevant emails.  I see that as
>bowing to form rather than substance.  A better solution is to refer
>complaints of excess postings to the List Monitors who can make an impartial
>assessment.  Pity that this just adds to their already large burden.

Patrick,
1) There are ways of reposting a message (usually called "Redirect" or
"resend") where the message appears to come from the original sender, not
from you. You need the majordomo "approval password" to do this, of course.

2) Unless the message is urgent and important, I think it is better to
advise the sender that it was bounced than to forward it. That way, people
who want to be heard learn.

3) GA announcements should not be reposted, IMHO. Those who are on the
announce list get them, those who aren't may have a reason not to be.
If an announcement is of special importance to the GA, you should send a
message saying WHY it is important and an URL to the announcement archive
entry.

In short - I think you could reduce your own workload and the list traffic
by doing less, and there would be no harm to the GA in doing so.

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.