[ga-rules]

Re: [ga-rules] Mailing List Management

Patrick and all,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> My overall view is to have "virtual" constituencies.  In other words all of
> the ISPs will have one mailing list.  The individuals another.  Businesses a
> third.  And so on.  With working groups on particular issues like the
> Alternate Roots, Trade Marks and Registration Systems.

  This is a bit of a mischaracterization.  Our [INEGroup] members are
represented by a broad spectrum of interests that have a common
goal and specific purposes.  Hence with WG's set up in separate
ML's for communication/discussion/debate seem to me to be
a method of fragmenting the "Interested Parties" or otherwise
stakeholders.

> The whole idea needs to be better defined and I'd like to see the issue
> discussed on the GA-RULES mailing list.  Some members, particularly William
> X. Walsh, Jeff Williams and Dassa Lynch have their own views which I'd like
> to see canvassed.  Of course, I am assuming that people have a genuine
> interest in such a discussion.

  My views are the views of our members as I am their spokesman...
I cannot speak for WXW or Darryl, aka Dessa...

> As it is now, we have three dedicated mailing lists.   UDRP which is really
> Trade Mark interests.  Alternate Roots which could become a constituency.
> Systems which is really Registrars and Registration Service Providers.
> Let's call those Working Groups (WGs) or Special Interest Groups (SIGs) with
> dedicated people.
>
> Those people understand the issues relevant to their subject.  The main GA
> list is really a "control" program of everybody.  The GENERAL assembly then
> decides that an issue is worth discussing.  They can create a "terms of
> reference" and refer the matter to one of the WGs.  A good example is WHOIS
> privacy in relation to the European Community.
>
> The WG or SIG can come up with a policy recommendation and refer it back to
> the main membership for a vote.  Does that make sense or not?
>
> Let's say the WHOIS issue is handled by GA-SYS.  You could call them WG-SYS
> if you prefer.  They come up with a recommendation on the Administration
> Contact.  Simple enough.  Let's say the recommendation is "that the
> Administration Contact is the agent of the Registrant and the Registrant may
> redelegate that authority at any time".  Fine.  We have a vote.  Adopted.
> Passed to ICANN as having consensus among all the participants.
>
> So the WG Chair is the "input-output control" of the Group.  Just like any
> other Chair of a sub-committee, investigative study or panel.  It's what we
> do in Australia.  There's a Terms of Reference (INPUT) and a report
> (OUTPUT).  Meanwhile the WG just chugs along doing its stuff.
>
> William X. Walsh sees such a system as open to capture and I agree that
> there is a danger of that.  There are two arguments against that view:
>
> First that everybody who is interested in a subject can join a working group
> of their choice.  One person may not be particularly interested in, say,
> UDRP or WHOIS systems.  They can choose not to participate.
>
> Second that everything must come back to the GA list for final approval.  If
> that list was kept light (as a control program) then you could require
> everybody to join it i.e. set up the system so that everybody who joins a
> sublist must be a member of the main GA list.
>
> The big advantage of dedicated Special Interest Groups is that you WILL get
> some work done.
>
> Regards
> Patrick Corliss
>
> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.